Sunday, May 3, 2009

Film Review: Casablanca (1943)


I have a confession to make. This is actually the first time I’ve ever seen Casablanca. (I know, a lot of you want to shoot me now!) Well, at least the first time I’ve watched it all the way through. And I cannot believe I waited this long to do so!

You’re instantly drawn in the moment they bring you back to Moroccan Casablanca, and captivated by the character of Rick Blaine. A man’s man – smooth, tough, and doesn’t waste his time with anyone else’s bull. The man who sticks his neck out for no one, and falls for no one. The epitome of cool.

Of course, that is until Ilsa Laszlo walks into his café, and turns his world around. Imagine coming face to face with the one who got away, and finding out that she’s married to the legendary Victor Lazlo – probably the only man you admire.

So what’s the moral of this story? Every man’s downfall is a woman! And if he seems to be immune to women, it’s because somewhere in his past, he’s already fallen and learned his lesson!

Heheh jk! It’s probably something about Rick sacrificing his personal happiness for the good of the Resistance and the people whose lives depend on it. But what I will always remember is thinking this – what girl doesn’t want to be the one who breaks down a tough guy? Especially a Rick Blaine.

After all, hasn’t it been proven time and again that what brute strength and manly threats cannot do, womanly wiles can?! ☺

No comments: