Monday, May 4, 2009

Movie Review: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)


I’ve seen this film 3 times. And each time I would think – either I really don’t like it or I just didn’t get it. But I’d eventually watch it again because, hey, it’s a classic and Best Picture. So maybe I’ll have better luck the fourth time around and finally see the light. We’ll see next year ☺

I do find the character of McMurphy very interesting - a sneaky trouble-maker con leading his merry band of misfits at the state mental hospital. It’s bound to be amusing with Jack Nocholson, Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd among many others in the cast.

But somehow, it just doesn’t engage me long enough. Halfway through and I’m spacing out. I find I have to force myself through the last quarter of the movie because of “hey, I’ve come this far, I might as well finish it” guilt.

But that is not to say that it’s a bad movie. It’s an interesting plot with a brilliant cast. I guess it just doesn’t speak to me, that’s all.

No comments: